Thursday, April 10, 2014

Not MY Shame - just shame!

When was the last time you felt shame or ashamed of yourself?
When you were little? A month ago? Yesterday? An hour ago?

When you feel shame you need to stop it immediately.

SHAME IS NEVER FROM GOD!

I have found that I personalize shame. It is my shame. I deserved it. I felt it. But, actually, freedom comes from not owning it - not personalizing it. Remember, God is not angry with you or wanting you to feel shame. He isn't focused on it -- why should you be? Recognize it for what it is - it is not YOUR shame, it is just shame. Therefore, it is time to kick that ugly feeling/thought out:

Stop and ask God, "What do you want me to know about this shame I am feeling? What is the root cause?" Go through the steps outlined here.  Obliterate that shame!

There is a difference between feeling shame (not from God) and righteous guilt (a reminder of a sin we need to confess). If you can't tell which you are feeling, just take a moment and ask God.

Righteous guilt can actually be helpful. If you are feeling guilty about something you did and it was really wrong, then do not condemn yourself - simply ask for forgiveness, make amends if needed, and then ask God to help you make a better choice next time for a different outcome.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In this blog I have used material I learned at Wind and Fire Mission Base.
 (Wind and Fire Mission Base, 3243 Wind and Fire Dr. Marion, IA 52302)302



No comments: