Thursday, May 01, 2014

Should I Raise my Hands During Worship? What Will the Person Next to me Think?

You have attended church. You know the routine. Begin with a few songs, maybe clap a little if others are clapping. Or if you are really bold raise one hand above your head so everyone will know you are worshipping. Do this for 20 minutes and then time for the sermon.

Sound familiar? Well, that was the way I felt every time I went to pretty much any church when I traveled around.

There was very much an atmosphere of wanting to seem "spiritual" but not too weird or out-there.
In this mind frame, there might be one song that spoke very quietly to my spirit and made me tear up, but most often I was very aware of the present world and not the heavenly realm.

Could this be what worship is about? Is this the way God wants me to sing to Him?

What if this mindset makes one miss the point completely of worshipping God?

For me, the key was a few important components to unlocking my worship:

1. Worship with eyes closed and imagine all others are blindfolded.
2. If you see yourself doing something in the spirit (like I might see myself moving my arms in a circle above my head) then do it. By being obedient to God you could unleash something from God or be a channel He is needing to use.
3. Know that there is no "right way" to worship. When I let myself go and really just move for God, there is no commonality to what I am doing. You might feel you should suddenly kneel because God's presence is so heavy on you, for instance.
4. Understand that by being freer during worship you will help others. When I first came to be in a church where people worshipped more freely, I sat back and watched several times. I felt sad when I walked in and uplifted by the true joy shown by the way people were worshipping.

Why not start in your home? Try putting on some praise music - if you do not have any of this type of music just do a general search on youtube and there is tons available. Then move around in your living room as God moves you.

If that still feels too crazy to you - try just sitting and listening to the music then moving as you sit.

By stepping out of your normal routine of worship that you do each Sunday, I guarantee you will have a different and, thereby, have a wonderful experience with God. When I let go, I have revelations, visions, and feel true peace.

Remember praise is a weapon! Do not allow the enemy to weaken your weapon by telling you people are looking at you. Praising God is not about any of them - it is about your amazing God! Let's dance for joy and let Him know how grateful we are for freedom, love, and eternal life!



No comments: