Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Feeling Trapped by your Feelings


I used to live my life by my feelings. It is really easy to fall back into this, actually. We naturally want to feel "good," but can easily be overtaken by strong feelings that stick around for a while affecting our relationships, work, sleep, and general health.
It is God's desire for us to have peace and joy, but it is completely normal and biblical  to feel angry, sad, afraid, etc. The key is to ask God to help you move from a place of anger, fear, depression, etc to peace.
What I did for most of my life is I went by how I felt and when I felt a strong emotion I often stayed there for days. 
In Ephesians 4:26 it says, "...Do not let the sun go down while you are still angry." I always thought of this verse as a guide for couples to not go to bed until an issue was settled. However, I believe it could also mean do not perseverate on a strong emotion like anger. 
For me it was often sadness or fatigue I would get stuck in for weeks at a time. It is not sinful to be in this state, but God wants us free. He also has big plans of how to use us and cannot get those plans moving if we are stuck in a strong emotional time. 

What can you do if you find yourself in a season where you are often angry, sad, or anxious? 
1. Remind yourself it is okay to feel strong emotions temporarily, but God does not want us to live in these feelings, being stuck or restricted because of them.
2. Begin by remembering and agreeing with who God says you are. Click here if you do not know who God says you are 
3. Remind yourself that God is not disappointed in you. In fact, He has never had a bad thought about you.
4. Get rid of all shame and condemnation
5. Be still before God and ask Him, "What do you think about me?" (Click on link if you feel you do not hear God).
6. Write out what you hear or see. Ask God to tell you more about each item or vision. 
7. Read frequently and believe these truths God has told you. Internalize them. Believe them. Know them by heart. This is really more important than anything. This will power you to move forward exponentially and step into who God created you to be.
                                                        
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In this blog I have used material I learned at Wind and Fire Mission Base.
 Wind and Fire Mission Base, 3243 Wind and Fire Dr. Marion, IA 52302

No comments: