Friday, January 24, 2014

Immediate vs. Ultimate

Impulse control can be hard. Whether you struggle with food, shopping, gambling, drinking, etc.
One of the Fruits of the Spirit is self-discipline. Did you realize that simply by becoming a Christian you have access to any and all of the Fruits of the Spirit? They are not some unattainable thing that one needs to read the Bible so many times or do some sort religious gymnastics to accomplish.
Rather, they are there at your fingertips now. Simply start living in self-discipline. Walk with the confidence knowing that God has already bestowed this gift to you.
Also, when facing those impulse situations, why not say to yourself, "immediate or ultimate." In other words, think about if you are going to indulge the immediate or resist for ultimate. If you live life according to the immediate, you will miss out on the ultimate!
One thing I am doing right now is having a sign in my car with "immediate or ultimate" on my dashboard. Sometimes I am tempted to buy something or eat when I do not need to. By having a simple reminder in front of me, I am able to remember that I am self-disciplined. God has already given me this gift.
Just another way to walk in freedom and power!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------In this blog I have used material I learned at Wind and Fire Mission Base.
 Wind and Fire Mission Base, 3243 Wind and Fire Dr. Marion, IA 5230230

No comments: